3 cups Sugar
3 tbsp Butter
3 tbsp Flour
4 cups Milk
1/3 cup Raisins (optional)
1/2 cup Nuts (optional)
1. Pre-heat oven to 200c. Peel pumpkin. Cut into large pieces. Put pumpkin pieces in a large deep pan then Add sugar and heat over low heat until tender. (aprox 2 hours).
2. Remove pumpkin from pot and save the sugar water left in the pan. 3. Mash pumpkin well and spread in a large baking dish. Sprinkle raisins and nuts on top.
4. In a medium saucepan, make a bechamel sauce, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir until smooth. Add milk whisking frequently to avoid any clumps.Add reserved sugar water. Then bring to boil. remove from heat.
5. Pour sweet bechamel sauce over mashed pumpkin in baking dish.
6. Place baking dish in pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until bechamel becomes golden. Serve hot.