3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup milk
3 tsp baking powder
pinch of vanillin
* The above ingredients are enough for 1 rectangular cake pan (approx. 30cm by 20cm). You need to make 2 rectangular cake pans for this cake.
Raspberry jam with little water and butter cream icing (could be substituted with your favorite filling).
4 Cups Icing Sugar
1 cup butter
2 Tablespoons of water
1 Tsp Vanilla
For this cake you will need around 3 batches of this icing depending on the size of the cake pan you used. Ensure that you have mostly white icing, and some batches in brown, purple and green. You may want red and blue for balloons on the side.
Brown: icing + cocoa powder
Green: icing + little bit of blue and more yellow until you get the green shade you want.
Purple: icing + little bit of red and pinch of blue until you get the purple shade of Barney.
Baking the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 180 Celsius. Grease the cake pan.
2. Soften butter, add sugar and beat until creamy.
3. Add eggs one by one and pinch of vanillin.
4. In a bowl mix the flour and baking powder.
5. Add flour mix to the egg mix alternating with the milk.
6. Pour into greased pan and bake for approx. 45 minutes (check after half an hour and not before)
7. Leave for five minutes in the pan and cool on a wire rack. Do not frost until completely cool.
Assembling/decorating the cake:
1. Cut each cake into two layers. You will need three layers for this cake, freeze the extra one for later use.
2. Put the first layer on the cake serving plate.
3. Pipe around the corners to ensure that the filling does not come out of the cake.
4. Add the raspberry filling that has been smoothed with a little bit of water.
5. Put the second layer and repeat steps 3 and 4.
6. Put the final layer and with a star tip pipe white icing in rows on the top and sides of the cake. Then spread on the cake to make as smooth as possible. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. (This process will help with completely covering the cake in white icing and ensuring it is smooth looking)
7. Give another layer of white icing and ensure all crumbs and cake has been covered. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
8. Put the cut picture of Barney on the cake and with a round tip pipe with brown icing around the Barney figure. Depending on your artistic abilities either fill in the inside details freehand or cut the picture again to help you fill in the details.
9. With a star tip pipe the border of the cake. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
10. With a star tip pipe the green icing onto Barney’s belly and tail (don’t push hard when piping to get a nice looking star and get the stars very close to each other).
11. With a star tip pipe white onto the eyes, toes and mouth.
12. With a star tip pipe purple onto Barney’s body.
13. With a round tip pipe the balloons and write whatever you want.