3 cups flour
½ tbls cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup milk
3 tsp baking powder
pinch of vanillin
* The above ingredients are enough for 1 rectangular cake pan (approx. 30cm by 20cm). You need to make 2 rectangular cake pans for this cake.
Blackberry jam with little water and butter cream icing (could be substituted with your favorite filling).
Cheese cream icing:
2 cups icing sugar
6 pieces of Kiri crème cheese ( or Philadelphia will do)
¼ cup butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
For this cake you will need around 3 batches of this icing depending on the size of the cake pan you used. You need only white icing for this cake.
Butterflies: ½ kg of fondant – separate into half and add very little red to have pink fondant. Add very little red and very little blue for lilac fondant. Roll out the fondant and cut with butterfly cookie cutters. If you want to add body to the butterfly use the yellow royal icing below for this.
Daises: 2 eggs whites and 500 g icing sugar. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with a little of the icing sugar until smooth. Gradually whisk remaining icing sugar until the royal icing is softly peaking (you may not need all the icing sugar). On parchment paper and with a round tip pipe daisy petals with this royal icing. Once all daisies are ready, color the remaining icing in yellow and pipe yellow filled in circles in the middle of the daises. Once the daises are set remove from parchment paper with a scraper. (Note: be very careful when removing them as they are very fragile).
White chocolate round bars: melt white chocolate and pour on cling film. Leave 3-5 minutes and then cut with a round cookie cutter. Use those bars to write the message you want. You can either stick them to the cake board (with icing) or stick them onto the cake.
Baking the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 180 Celsius. Grease the cake pan.
2. Soften butter, add sugar and beat until creamy.
3. Add eggs one by one and pinch of vanillin.
4. In a bowl mix the flour, cinnamon and baking powder.
5. Add flour mix to the egg mix alternating with the milk.
6. Pour into greased pan and bake for approx. 45 minutes (check after half an hour and not before)
7. Leave for five minutes in the pan and cool on a wire rack. Do not frost until completely cool.
Assembling/decorating the cake:
1. Cut each cake into two layers (area for filling). Then cut the cake in half so you have two long cakes.
2. By now you should have four two layer cakes looking like an L or 1.
3. Take one L or 1 shaped cake to have the center of the cake ready (3 layers)
4. Take one L or 1 shapes cake and cut it into three. Two will go at the bottom of the number 1 (left and right) and the third for the top of the number one but cut it to make the shape of the top of the one (freeze leftover cake layer).
5. Put the first layer of all parts of the cake on the cake board/plate.
6. Pipe around the corners to ensure that the filling does not come out of the cake.
7. Add the blackberry filling that has been smoothed with a little bit of water.
8. Put the second layer and repeat steps 6 and 7.
9. Put the final layer and spread icing on the cake.
10. Then with a star tip pipe white icing in rows on the top and sides of the cake. Then spread on the cake to make as smooth as possible. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. (This process will help with completely covering the cake in white icing and ensuring it is smooth looking)
11. Give another layer of white icing and ensure all crumbs and cake has been covered.
12. Decorate with butterfly cut fondant and daises all over the cake even the sides. Refrigerate.